Thursday 29 January 2009

My experience with the cops....

I have never blogged before. Had been planning it for a long time but have been too lazy for it. I had been planning to begin blogging on something general. 
Let me get some reference to what I plan to write. My bike was stolen about 3 months back( Oct 13 actually). To file a FIR I had to run around the police for 3 days. Had to bribe the officials to write down the FIR after 3 days.... I know what I did was wrong but I told myself this is how the world works..... Saying this I put my mind to rest.. But this remained lingering in my thoughts..
Anyways, the police found my bike!!! Yesterday actually..I get a call from the police saying they have found my bike,and I need to collect it. I go to the Mico Layout police station(where I had file my FIR). The cop there tells me that I need give some "Khushi" to get my bike. I go home, get 2000 bucks...Pay him 500.. He tells me that the bike is at Kormangala branch!! So I go there.. The cop sitting there tells me to pay him 2500 bucks to get the work done. I dont do that... I tell him I'l get the money tomorrow...He tells me get the money only then will he begin the procedure.. He takes me to the bike and tells me a story that they caught the thief riding the bike by hitting him with a stick.. I doubt the story...
When i check the bike I find the battery missing, the screws from the tank cap missing... Literally anything sellable missing... I am quite sure its the cops who have sold the parts.... 
Next day, I go back... He makes me wait 4 hours.. Then he tells me to collect a 100rs stamp paper form the bank... When at last I do all this he decides to abuse me and tells me that I have been bugging him too much and that the favour he was doing towards me turns to be more painful... So he doesnt give me the bike till 7 pm and by then all service centres are closed so I have to drag my bike for about 5 km....At the end I pay him 2500 bucks... take abuse from him...and go home exhausted....
Before leaving the police station, I meet a girl whose cell phone and ear ring was stolen right on the road.. She was sure she wouldnt find it but came to report it none the less so that maybe someone else could be safer..
This experience got me thinking.... I have the money to pay them... I have the guts to fight them( I did when he abused me).. But most people dont.. How do they get things done? If they cant what use is the law and order department? Is the process so openly corrupted that there is no way to improve this?? I am not talking about changing the whole system.. Maybe that needs to be done too... But I cant... If I do find someone who can I will help them any way I can...
My question is Have we become so immune to all this(in my case corruption) that we dont feel the guilt of doing the wrong thing???? Are there any steps that we could take to help someone in need?? Have we helped anybody just for the fact that the person needs help???
Lets take the police as an example. Can anybody give ideas as to how could we make things easier so that atleast the simple things which need police involvement get simpler???

4 comments:

  1. Did you get a new bike...or did you buy the parts for your stolen bike and use it. All in all, a very interesting story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thnx dude...I bought the parts... Cost me 12K bucks... plus 3K to the cops....

    ReplyDelete
  3. i got caught by a traffic police for breaking the signal....my reason i was behind a truck who first broke the signal and i was not able to see the signal (u know mumbai traffic..keep left if on bike)...cops reason to fine me....either one had to be fined either me or the truck...but he openly accepted that stopping a bike is easier......and some had to pay him....so there goes my 50 bucks...(actually got out cheap.).....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything's on the cops whim and fancy.... We don't know most of the rules... Like for eg the cops are supposed to show us the speed on the speed gun in case we are caught over speeding....

    ReplyDelete